Thursday, March 27, 2008

life changing lessons from ranch dressing

If you work in an urgent-only culture, the only solution is to make the right things urgent.
~ Seth Godin, marketing guru and my new personal hero

Today I made a discovery; fat free ranch dressing has more carbs then regular ranch dressing and regular ranch dressing obviously has more calories. It was as though ranch dressing was giving me an ultimatum, either I go low-fat or low-carb, I mean after all you can't have the ranch and diet too.

So what significance does this have in my new self-discovery journey? Well other than proclaiming a self-declared ban on ranch dressing, I have realized that it is more than impossible to make something or someone perfect.

During this self-discovery process (before the ranch incident) I wanted to make myself perfect. A perfect daughter, perfect employee, perfectly healthy, just you know perfectly perfect. I was determined to do it all lose weight, go back to school, give back to society, and become an author but in the midst of it all I realized that all I was doing was becoming perfectly tired. The thing is just like beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, perfection lies in the eyes of the perfector (yes I know that's not an actual English word but what the hell I am not perfect).

I have started writing again. I am dancing and working toward my rang pravesh (graduation ceremony of sorts for odissi dancers). I have officially given up diet coke. I wash my face and moisturize it daily (as opposed to doing it once a week earlier). I am determined to do complete the 60-mile cancer walk in September. I am taking screenplay-writing classes at UCLA.

If you ask me that is as close to perfect as I ever imagined myself being.

P.S. For those of you who are helping me keep count 3 down, 362 (days not pounds, thank god!) more to go.

No comments: